Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Schalke vs ManU

Setting an alarm for 4:30 in the morning is never a pleasant thing, but when you do it to support your natural rival, it becomes a whole new thing. I cursed and twirled but I got out of bed, lined up 3 coffee mugs and plugged in the sandwich maker, for what you ask? To support Schalke, even though I am a true Bayern fan, I wanted to see a German team in the Champions League final this year. Sadly it will probably stay a dream.

There are 10 Schalke players that should hang their head in shame after that performance, and one that should be proud of himself and happy that he made the decision to leave Gelsenkirchen at the end of the season. If it hadn't been for Manuel Neuer Schalke would have drowned 4/5 - 0 today. Yes it was that bad. The Arena auf Schalke is arguably the best (again this hurts me to say) stadium when it comes to German stadiums, perhaps only contested by the Westfahlen stadion (yes I will continue to call it that) and the Allianz Arena (Because I wouldn't be a true Bayern fan if I didn't include it), and there were plenty of Schalke fans there to support their team, but they played the slowest and most uncreative football I have seen in while. There was no tempo up front, no heart to push forward, no teeth to show Manchester what they are capable of.

This is the same team that beat Inter 5-2 after conceding after just 25 seconds, what happened to that. A lucky Giggs goal and they just switched off, no wonder Neuer was furious at his defense. Farfan was the biggest disappointment in my eyes, the man is brilliant but it seems he has on and off days at random and for no reason, he let the ball run through his foot passed the out line twice today, in a Semi-final! Most of the players were rested in last weekends defeat against Kaiserslautern (0-1) so it can't even be said that they were tired. Needless to say it is near impossible to win by 3 goals in Manchester's "theater of dreams" and even though I myself don't really belief it will happen, I will wake up and show you the continued support, except this time it will be more because of my love for the beautiful game (if you can call it that when Rooney is present) rather than to shout for Schalke.

Let me point out one thing, there is no shame in losing to Manchester United by 2 goals, they are a great team, and at times also a lucky team. There is however shame if you lose by 2 goals and look like you didn't even want to be on that pitch, if you've made the long and hard way to the semi-final, I don't understand why you don't want to fight to make the pot yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment